Not Just A Law Firm... A Solution

Do you wish to adopt an adult in Georgia?

On Behalf of | Mar 15, 2019 | Family Law

Adults need parents too. In Georgia, it is possible to adopt adults as well as children. In fact, it is simpler to adopt an adult than a child.

You might be interested in adopting your adult stepchild or a person who has outgrown the foster system. Through adoption, you can give a deserving person the gift of family.

What do you need to adopt an adult in Georgia?

If you are interested in adopting an adult, you will be able to avoid certain steps in the adoption process required by law for children. This includes a home study or termination of parental rights. If the adult gives written consent, you can begin the legal adoption process.

You will need the following:

  • Meet the residency requirements
  • Petition for adoption through the county court
  • Adoptee’s written consent
  • Petition for a name change (if applicable)

The court will also want to know why the adult wishes to be adopted. If they have an existing family, the judge will probably want to know why they are abandoning their blood relations. If you are not related to them by blood or marriage, the judge will want to know about your relationship.

What will change after adoption?

When you adopt an adult, they gain your emotional support and can even take on your family name. More importantly, an adoption grants a person certain legal rights.

These include the following:

  • Rights as next-of-kin in medical emergency situations
  • Right to social security and pension
  • Right to inheritance

When you adopt an adult, they are entitled to the same inheritance rights as your biological or other legal children. To further protect their inheritance rights, you may want to add their names to your estate plan.

A legal advisor can help you file and process an adult adoption. The goal of any adoption is to create healthy, happy families of all ages. Bringing an adult into your family is no different and can bring you just as much joy.


FindLaw Network